Utah Royals 262 Day Wait Between NWSL Fixtures Nearly Over
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Utah Royals FC are hours away from playing their first 2020 NWSL Challenge Cup as the team takes on Houston Dash at 10:30 a.m. at Zions Bank Stadium on Tuesday, June 30.
The last time the Royals took on an NWSL opponent was on October 12, 2019, when they beat the Dash 2-1 at Rio Tinto Stadium thanks to goals from Christen Press and Amy Rodriguez. It has been eight months and 18 days since the Royals have taken the pitch.
The upcoming fixture against the Dash also marks the first game in charge for manager Craig Harrington. Harrington joined the Royals after a two-year stint as an assistant coach with the Chicago Red Stars. Prior to that, he managed the Turks and Caicos Islands National Football team.
Christen Press Absence
The Royals will be without their star striker Christen Press for the Challenge Cup following Press’s decision to voluntarily sit out of the tournament.
“It is deeply painful not to be able to play the game I love, and to watch the broader effects of the global pandemic on our league, sports, and our world,” Press said in a club released statement.
“Regrettably, given the uncertainty created by COVID-19, I must elect not to participate in this tournament. I know how fortunate I am to be able to make this choice. I have enormous respect and gratitude for those who do not have the luxury to choose whether to report to work, including our selfless and heroic first responders. I look forward to supporting my teammates during the tournament in Utah,” Press added.
How To Watch
Tom Hackett is a Utah and Real Salt Lake Insider for KSLsports.com and host of the It’s Utah’s World Podcast (Utah Football themed) and The Lion’s Den Podcast (Real Salt Lake themed). Follow him on Twitter: @TomCantHackett.
- Charles Barkley, Shaq: Donovan Mitchell Has 'Zero Impact' On Game Except Scoring (pageviews: 20403)
- Donovan Mitchell Responds To Shaq; Media, Celebrities React - KSL Sports (pageviews: 10669)
- Page not found - KSL Sports (pageviews: 5595)
- BYU Basketball Receives Waiver For Westminster Transfer Brandon Warr - KSL Sports (pageviews: 4048)
- Report: Japan 'Privately Concludes' Tokyo Olympics Will Be Canceled Due To Coronavirus (pageviews: 3668)
- Malone: Stockton Was 'Tough As A Pair Of Leather Boots' - KSL Sports (pageviews: 3572)
- BYU/Portland: How To Watch, Listen, Or Stream At Tip-Off - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2130)
- Donovan Mitchell Fastest Player In NBA History To Hit 600 Threes - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1328)
- Early Look At Returning Leaders For BYU Football In 2021 - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1163)
- Non Superstar Mitchell Leads Jazz To Seventh Straight Win - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1066)