Under Armour Attempting To End 15-Year, $280 Million Contract With UCLA Bruins Early
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Apparel company Under Armour is attempting to get out of its 15-year, $280 million contract with the UCLA Bruins early.
The company announced the decision to break its agreement with UCLA on Saturday, June 27.
UCLA is one of 22 college programs sponsored by Under Armour. Fellow Pac-12 schools, Utah and California also have deals with the apparel company.
“Under Armour has recently made the difficult decision to discontinue our partnership with UCLA, as we have been paying for marketing benefits that we have not received for an extended time period,” Under Armour said in a statement. “The agreement allows us to terminate in such an event and we are exercising that right.”
The Bruins and Under Armour first reached an agreement on the $280 million deal in May 2016. UCLA reportedly fielded offers from Adidas and Nike. The 15-year contract took effect in July 2017.
“UCLA Athletics learned this week that Under Armour is attempting to terminate its 15-year apparel and footwear contract with us and the Bruin community,” UCLA said in a statement. “We are exploring all our options to resist Under Armour’s actions. We remain committed to providing our hard-working staff and student-athletes with the footwear, apparel and equipment needed to train and compete at the highest level, as they — and our loyal Bruin fans — deserve.”
According to Forbes, the deal was the largest apparel contract in college sports as of September 2019.
Prior to its agreement with Under Armour, the Bruins sported gear from Adidas.
UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero is scheduled to retire on July 1. Former Boston College AD Martin Jarmond is set to take over the Bruins’ athletic department.
- Local Teams Wish Fans Happy Independence Day, Happy Fourth Of July (pageviews: 10696)
- Former MLB Pitcher Tyson Brummett, Three Others Die In Utah Plane Crash (pageviews: 2045)
- Watch Jimmer Fredette Pulling Off Amazing Basketball Trick Shots - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1315)
- Ex-Ute Claims Scalley Used Racial Slur; Reacts To Reinstatement - KSL Sports (pageviews: 788)
- Watch Jimmer Fredette Pulling Off Amazing Basketball Trick Shots - KSL Sports (pageviews: 667)
- Disney Themed NBA Jerseys Feature New Spin On Jazz Purple Mountain Uniform - KSL Sports (pageviews: 592)
- BYU Football Extends Offer To Timpview QB Liu Aumavae - KSL Sports (pageviews: 554)
- Washington Redskins Announce Franchise 'Will Undergo A Thorough Review Of The Team's Name' (pageviews: 525)
- BYU Basketball Roster 2020-21 Built Off Impact Transfers - KSL Sports (pageviews: 503)