Report: Some Players May Opt To Skip NBA Return
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Some NBA players may opt to skip the return of the NBA season. According to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, some players from the 22 teams invited to resume the season at The Walt Disney World Resorts may sit out the remaining games due to risk of COVID-19, social justice, and family concerns.
Over the last day, several dozen players voiced their opinion on the matter over a conference call. The NBA and the NBA Players Association expect to agree on terms that would allow those players to sit out the remainder of the season.
“The NBA and NBPA are expected to agree on a provision that wouldn’t require players to restart the season, nor subject them to discipline for staying home,” sources told Wojnarowski. “The players would lose a portion of salary for those games missed.
Furthermore, players could choose to miss the remaining games if they seek an independent medicinal opinion on their health.
“If a player has a medical issue that might be cause for him to be excused from the Orlando restart, he would be allowed to undergo an independent examination process,” Wojnarowski tweeted. “Even if the player was told that he’s fit to play, he could still stay home without consequence.”
Jazz Players Who May Skip NBA Return
So far, Bojan Bogdanovic is the only Utah Jazz player who won’t retake the floor with the team in Florida. NBA players with season-ending injuries aren’t expected to travel with their teams to the Disney Resorts.
The Jazz haven’t announced any further injuries.
However, guard Joe Ingles had previously hinted that he might consider skipping the remainder of the season. Ingles said being away from his young family may not be a possibility if the season resumes.
“It would be extremely hard,” Ingles said of the idea. “It would be basically the longest I’ve been away from the kids. I don’t know how much I am willing to do that, as much as I love playing basketball.”
Ingles has since assured Jazz fans that he would return if the season resumes if it is deemed safe.
After originally claiming he would be comfortable retiring from basketball to protect his children, Ingles provided context for his statement.
“I said this over 2 months ago when we knew nothing about the virus & what it could do,” Ingles tweeted. “I know the Jazz/NBA would only have us play if they were confident that everyone’s health has been put first. When it’s safe to go back and play, I will not let my teammates down!”
Earlier Wednesday, ESPN reported that the NBA plans screen team personnel to find who might be at a higher risk of contracting the virus if the return to finish the season.