Report: NBA Plans To Return With 22 Teams, 8 Regular Season Games
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – NBA Commissioner Adam Silver has made his plans for the NBA season to return. Silver’s proposal will welcome 22 NBA teams to the Disney World Resorts in Orlando. As expected, the top eight teams in both the Western Conference and the Eastern Conference will travel to Orlando, including the Utah Jazz.
Included in the full 22 team slate, the NBA will invite the New Orleans Pelicans, Portland Trail Blazers, Phoenix Suns, Sacramento Kings, and San Antonio Spurs to finish their regular season from the West. The Washington Wizards will travel to Orlando from the East.
Each team will play eight regular-season games at the Disney Resort to determine the seeding of the playoffs, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski.
The conclusion of the regular season may also feature a play-in tournament to determine the final playoff spot in both conferences. The play-in tournament will occur if the ninth seed is within four games of the eighth seed at the end of the regular season. According to Shams Charania of The Athletic, the final spot would be earned in the tournament via double elimination.
Yahoo Sports Keith Smith reported that the NBA’s agreement with Disney is nearly complete.
NBA to Vote on Propsal to 22 Teams
Silver’s proposal will be made Thursday to the NBA’s Board of Governors. The proposal is expected to pass nearly unanimously.
Last week, it was reported the NBA is targeting a return date of July 31. On Monday, Wojnarowski reported that the NBA hopes to complete game seven of the Finals no later than October 12.
That would allow the NBA to host the final eight games of the regular season over the first 2-3 weeks of August. The postseason would run for roughly two months to complete the season.
After Thursday’s vote, the NBA must determine when teams will need to recall players to their host cities. The league had previously proposed a 25-day return to action plan. That would include 11 days of condition before hosting a two-week training camp before restarting the regular season.
- Four Candidates To Be Utah Football's Next 'Head Coach In Waiting' - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1274)
- Stanford Athletics Will Cut 11 Varsity Sports Following 2020-21 Season - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1078)
- Four Candidates To Be Utah Football's Next 'Head Coach In Waiting' - KSL Sports (pageviews: 927)
- Report: Kansas City Chiefs Reach Agreement With QB Patrick Mahomes On 10-Year Contract Extension - KSL Sports (pageviews: 889)
- Emmanuel Mudiay Will Miss Jazz Fans In First Playoffs - KSL Sports (pageviews: 866)
- Five BYU Football Newcomers Who Could Make An Impact In 2020 - KSL Sports (pageviews: 856)
- Local Teams Wish Fans Happy Independence Day, Happy Fourth Of July (pageviews: 483)
- Karl Malone Jr. Addresses Father's Statutory Rape History - KSL Sports (pageviews: 423)
- Jimmer Fredette Becomes Free Agent After Parting Ways With Panathinaikos - KSL Sports (pageviews: 409)