Masks, Social Distancing Encouraged At NWSL Tournament In Herriman
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Utah state epidemiologist Dr. Angela Dunn said that social distancing and mask-wearing will be encouraged at the upcoming National Women’s Soccer League Challenge Cup.
Dr. Dunn spoke about the health-related precautions for the event during the state’s coronavirus update on Thursday, May 28.
“When we advise on large events we refer back to the Utah Leads 3.0 plan and the detailed guidance we give for all the different colors. So events like this, we strongly encourage social distancing where possible and mask-wearing where it’s not. In addition to routinely cleaning surfaces,” said Dr. Dunn. “I’m sure the players in the National Women’s Soccer League will be screening their players and staff for symptoms and not allowing them to play if they are in fact symptomatic. So we’re following the guidance that we have for all of our events right now.”
On, May 27, the NWSL announced that the 2020 Challenge Cup will be played in Utah starting on June 27th. The event will consist of 25 matches.
The tourney will not have in attendance. Those interested in watching the matches can stream the action via CBS All Access. However, the tournament’s opening match and final will be nationally televised on CBS.
“As our country begins to safely reopen and adjust to our collective new reality, and with the enthusiastic support of our players, owners, as well as our new and current commercial partners, the NWSL is thrilled to bring professional soccer back to the United States,” said NWSL commissioner Lisa Baird. “This exciting month-long tournament will showcase our league’s talented players and provide our fans the type of world-class entertainment they’ve come to expect from the NWSL.”
All nine NWSL clubs will train at the Zions Bank Training Center in Herriman and American First Credit Union Field in Sandy.
Matches will primarily be played at Zions Bank Stadium. The Cup’s semifinals and final will be played at Rio Tinto Stadium, the home of MLS club Real Salt Lake.
Dr. Dunn’s comments on the tournament can be heard starting at 33:07 of the Facebook Live broadcast.
- BYU's Kalani Sitake Sternly Clarifies Cougars' Position On Potential Washington Game - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2904)
- Donovan Mitchell Keeps Tweeting At The Uno People - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2322)
- BYU Football Comes In At No. 14 In College Football Playoff Rankings (pageviews: 2210)
- Utah Football Game Against Arizona State Canceled Due To COVID-19 - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1624)
- Utah Jazz Officially Sign Former BYU Guard Jake Toolson (pageviews: 1227)
- BYU's Matt Haarms Will Be Game-Time Decision For New Orleans (pageviews: 864)
- BYU Basketball: Three Observations From Win Over Westminister (pageviews: 728)
- Derrick Favors: Utah 'Feels Like Home' - KSL Sports (pageviews: 681)
- Britain Covey Confirms Hamstring Injury In #GiveThanks Instagram Post - KSL Sports (pageviews: 652)