Best Quotes From Jerry Sloan’s Legendary Coaching Career
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Jerry Sloan had many memorable quotes during his time as the head coach of the Utah Jazz.
During his 23 seasons at the helm, Sloan had many quotes that were inspirational, funny or showed his character of being a physical and tough basketball coach.
Sloan passed away on Friday, May 22 due to complications from Parkinson’s disease and Lewy body dementia.
The KSL Sports team put together some of the best quotes from Jerry Sloan.
- “Now you know they are a good team. I said that in the beginning and people thought I was crazy when I said they were a hell of a team but now everybody knows.”
- “I thought we played awfully soft. If you are going to play a playoff game, you have to get after people.”
- “I am not going to worry about kid gloves. I don’t even like kid gloves, I really don’t even have work gloves.”
- “He shot at the wrong basket. He was trying to embarrass somebody by doing that, DeShawn (Stevenson) fouled him, I would’ve fouled him and knocked him on his a**. You try to embarrass the team after a 20-point lead you’re right I am going to knock him down.”
- “Rookies need to be seen and not heard.”
- “If you are a basketball player, there is 24 hours in a day and I know that people get tired of me talking about if I am too hard on these guys. But, what else do they have to do? You get 8 hours of sleep a day, there is a lot of different things to do in a day. You can get yourself mentally ready to play basketball.”
- “We are trying to find a guard that is a make it guard. I have heard so much about shooting guards. Anybody can shoot it. We are trying to find somebody that is trying to make it at that position.”
- “He’s gotta figure out what he wants to do, play basketball or be a clown.”
For more on the life and legacy of former Utah Jazz head coach Jerry Sloan visit kslsports.com/jerrysloan.
Utah Jazz Scoreboard
Utah Jazz Team Leaders
Utah Jazz Standings