42-Year-Old Zamboni Driver Wins First NHL Game, Donates Jersey Proceeds
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Dave Aryes never expected to play in an NHL game, but when both of the goalies for the Carolina Hurricanes went down with injuries, he entered the game and ended up winning it.
In the NHL, each arena (not team) is required to have an emergency backup goalie. The emergency goalie will go in for either the home or the away team, whichever needs them. So, Aryes works for the home team Toronto Maple Leafs but secured the win for the Carolina Hurricanes.
Ayres played about half of the game for the Hurricanes. He gave up two goals on the first three shots but then stopped seven shots. The Hurricanes won 6-3.
He became the oldest player (42) to ever win their NHL debut.
“It was awesome,” Aryes said after the game. “Obviously time of my life out there. I’ve been on this ice many times without fans, put fans in the mix it’s a whole different game obviously, but, hey once in a lifetime, I’ll take it.”
Aryes said he felt confident but mostly nervous until one of his teammates told him, “Just have fun. We don’t care if you let 10 goals in.”
North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper tweeted, “I’m ready to make emergency goaltender and Zamboni driver David Ayres an honorary North Carolina citizen after courageous @Canes win.”
The Hurricanes t-shirt jersey with Ayres name printed on it is selling out quickly.
Ayres is a kidney transplant survivor and has chosen to donate all of the proceeds to “a kidney foundation in the Carolinas,” he told hosts of the TODAY show.
- BYU Football Coach Kalani Sitake, Daughter Jam To Beyoncé Song - KSL Sports (pageviews: 3688)
- Utah Department Of Health Clears Jazz Players Rudy Gobert, Donovan Mitchell Of Coronavirus (pageviews: 2556)
- Bracket: Who Is The State Of Utah's Best College Basketball Player Ever? You Decide. - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2314)
- Celebrate John Stockton's Birthday With The 12 Best Moments From His Career - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1993)
- How Latter-day Saint Missionaries Returning Early Due To Coronavirus Impacts BYU Football - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1933)
- Sitake Announces New Leaders Of BYU Football Recruiting Efforts - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1423)
- Former Salt Lake Bees Star Mike Trout Narrates Touching Video On What Would Be MLB Opening Day (pageviews: 1065)
- RSL Foundation To Open Domestic Violence Shelter After Coronavirus Leads To Increased Urgency - KSL Sports (pageviews: 847)
- NBA Set To Reduce Salaries Of League's Top Executives - KSL Sports (pageviews: 505)