Despite Player Objections, Look For More NFL Regular Season, Playoff Games
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The NFL is on the verge of some major changes that could go into effect as soon as the 2020 season, which would include a 17-game schedule, one more playoff team per conference, and less preseason games.
The owners agreed to these changes, plus more, and now the NFL Players Association is looking over the deal, but the group decided to delay a vote to discuss this proposal in more detail.
Everyone loves the NFL and most of it seems to be a no-brainer from the fan side of things. Fans would get to watch more meaningful football, owners would make more money, but the players are concerned about player safety with that extra game being played plus other items within the proposal.
Is An Expanded Playoff Better?
KSL Sports’ Scott Mitchell knows the NFL well by being a 12-year veteran and has been through collective bargaining agreements in the league. He can speak from a former player perspective and now as a fan of the league.
“I know the players don’t want this. The players don’t want this extra game but, yes, more teams want to be in the playoffs,” Mitchell said. “This is changing the whole dynamic of the season. I am in favor of having an expanded season, shortened preseason, and an expanded playoff system.”
The one big change is adding an extra team to the playoffs in each conference and that would lead to just one team in the AFC and NFC to receive a bye. It would allow teams at the bottom to get into the playoffs. The one big concern would be the teams with a losing record making it to the most exclusive playoffs in American sports.
- BYU Football Coach Kalani Sitake, Daughter Jam To Beyoncé Song - KSL Sports (pageviews: 3688)
- Utah Department Of Health Clears Jazz Players Rudy Gobert, Donovan Mitchell Of Coronavirus (pageviews: 2556)
- Bracket: Who Is The State Of Utah's Best College Basketball Player Ever? You Decide. - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2314)
- Celebrate John Stockton's Birthday With The 12 Best Moments From His Career - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1993)
- How Latter-day Saint Missionaries Returning Early Due To Coronavirus Impacts BYU Football - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1933)
- Sitake Announces New Leaders Of BYU Football Recruiting Efforts - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1423)
- Former Salt Lake Bees Star Mike Trout Narrates Touching Video On What Would Be MLB Opening Day (pageviews: 1065)
- RSL Foundation To Open Domestic Violence Shelter After Coronavirus Leads To Increased Urgency - KSL Sports (pageviews: 847)
- NBA Set To Reduce Salaries Of League's Top Executives - KSL Sports (pageviews: 505)