Utah Suffers Second Home Loss Of Season At Hands Of UCLA
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The Utah men’s basketball team couldn’t get past UCLA’s defense and the Utes couldn’t stop their offense. They lost their third straight game, 69-58 at the hands of the Bruins.
Utah lost just their second game this season inside the Jon M. Huntsman Center. The other defeat that the Utes have suffered at home was to Oregon on January 4.
Alfonso Plummer was the bright spot for the Utes, scoring 16 points in 17 minutes on the floor. He scored 14 points in the second half leading Utah’s rally late in the half after trailing by 20 points with 11 minutes remaining but their comeback came up short.
UCLA Led Throughout
The Bruins had control of the game throughout. They never trailed in this game against the Utes and had their lead up to 20 points with 11 minutes remaining. UCLA has now won four straight and 8 of their last 10 games.
Jules Bernard led the team with 16 points, including 14 points coming in the first half of play. Tyger Campbell added 13 and 4 assists.
As a team, UCLA shot 50 percent from the floor, 40 percent from the three-point line and went 15-19 from the free throw line.
Carlson Productive In Limited Minutes
Utah freshman center Branden Carlson has played very well in the last month. In the loss to UCLA, that wasn’t any different. He scored 8 of Utah’s first 13 points to start the game but went to the bench with two fouls with 9 minutes remaining in the opening half.
Once he went to the bench, Utah scored just six points and trailed UCLA by 12 points at the break. The Utes outscored the Bruins 37-36 in the second half.
Carlson finished with 10 points and one rebound on 4-5 shooting from the field.
Timmy Allen added 11 points and 7 rebounds on 4-8 shooting.
Utah dropped their record to 14-12 overall and 5-9 in Pac-12 play. They will finish their homestand on Sunday against the USC Trojans. Tip-off is at 4 p.m. on ESPNU.
The Crimson Corner podcast is the one-stop for all things University of Utah Athletics hosted by Utah insider Trevor Allen. Ute fans will find interviews with current players, coaches, and staff alongside expert analysis of every game, story and angle coming out of the University of Utah.
You can download and listen to the podcast, here.
- Bracket: Who Is The State Of Utah's Best College Basketball Player Ever? You Decide. - KSL Sports (pageviews: 3670)
- Taysom Hill As New Orleans Saints QB1 Could Be Sooner Than You Think - KSL Sports (pageviews: 3522)
- Donovan Mitchell Discusses Workout Routine, Shows Off Carlos Boozer Jersey - KSL Sports (pageviews: 897)
- New England Patriots' Plane Delivering Over A Million N95 Masks From China To United States (pageviews: 821)
- Salty 16: Championship: Who Has The Best Fries In The State Of Utah? - KSL Sports (pageviews: 746)
- April Fools: Best Pranks & Funny Moments In Utah Sports History (pageviews: 510)
- Utah QB Tyler Huntley's Personal Pro Day Numbers Were Better Than Any Quarterback At NFL Combine - KSL Sports (pageviews: 448)
- Casey Scott Reflects On The Darkest Days Of His Life While Staying Positive About The Future - KSL Sports (pageviews: 409)
- (not set) (pageviews: 265)