Rudy Gobert Records Double-Double In First NBA All-Star Game
CHICAGO, Ill. – Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert played very well in his first career NBA All-Star Game and was in contention for the first ever Kobe Bryant MVP award.
The Frenchman recorded a double-double with 21 points, 11 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 block on 10-11 shooting from the field and 1-3 from the free throw line in 19 minutes on the floor in Team Giannis’ 157-155 loss to Team LeBron.
Entering the fourth quarter under the new All-Star format, Gobert was the second leading scorer on Team Giannis and the third leading scorer in the entire game. But, Gobert did not play in the fourth quarter.
Kawhi Leonard of the Los Angeles Clippers won the All-Star Game MVP after posting 30 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 steals while hitting 8-14 from downtown.
New All-Star Format
The NBA changed the format to the All-Star game with the winner of each quarter having money donated to the charity of that team. They did that for the first three quarters. In the fourth quarter, they added up the scores from the first three quarters and added on 24 points as the target score which represented the number of the late Kobe Bryant. The first team to reach that score will win the All-Star game.
Heading into the fourth quarter, Team Giannis was holding a 133-124 lead and the target score was set to 157. Team LeBron outscored Team Giannis 33-22 in the fourth quarter. Los Angeles Lakers star Anthony Davis made the game-winning free throw. LeBron James had 23 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 steal and 2 blocks.
The game was extremely competitive in the fourth quarter with both teams playing tough defense and showed that they cared. Coaches and players were arguing with the officials which made it feel like a regular NBA game.
Gobert wasn’t the only Jazz player to make his first All-Star game in 2020. Donovan Mitchell didn’t play as many minutes but he still made some nice plays. He finished with 7 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals and 1 block on 3-10 shooting in 14 minutes.
Leading Team Giannis was the captain himself. Antetokounmpo recorded 25 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists and 3 blocks. Kemba Walker added 23 points, 3 boards and 3 assists. Seven players for Team Giannis scored in double figures.
The Utah Jazz will have the next four days off before returning to NBA action on Friday, February 21 when they host the San Antonio Spurs at Vivint Smart Home Arena. The game will begin at 7 p.m. and will be broadcast on AT&T SportsNet.
- BYU Football Coach Kalani Sitake, Daughter Jam To Beyoncé Song - KSL Sports (pageviews: 3688)
- Utah Department Of Health Clears Jazz Players Rudy Gobert, Donovan Mitchell Of Coronavirus (pageviews: 2556)
- Bracket: Who Is The State Of Utah's Best College Basketball Player Ever? You Decide. - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2314)
- Celebrate John Stockton's Birthday With The 12 Best Moments From His Career - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1993)
- How Latter-day Saint Missionaries Returning Early Due To Coronavirus Impacts BYU Football - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1933)
- Sitake Announces New Leaders Of BYU Football Recruiting Efforts - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1423)
- Former Salt Lake Bees Star Mike Trout Narrates Touching Video On What Would Be MLB Opening Day (pageviews: 1065)
- RSL Foundation To Open Domestic Violence Shelter After Coronavirus Leads To Increased Urgency - KSL Sports (pageviews: 847)
- NBA Set To Reduce Salaries Of League's Top Executives - KSL Sports (pageviews: 505)