Utah’s Road Woes Continue With Blowout Loss To Oregon State
CORVALLIS, Ore. – The University of Utah men’s basketball team suffered their seventh straight road loss of the season in blowout fashion to Oregon State, 70-51.
Only one Utah player scored in double figures which was freshman big man Branden Carlson with 13 points along with 8 rebounds on 5-9 shooting from the field.
Oregon State had four players reach double figures led by Kylor Kelley with 16 points, 9 rebounds and 2 blocks. Ethan Thompson added 13 points and 11 assists. Tres Tinkle dropped 11 points, 8 rebounds and 4 assists. Finally, Zach Reichle chipped in 10 points.
Poor Shooting Throughout For Utah
Like most losses in conference play this season, the Utes did not shoot the ball well. They finished the game shooting 19-51 for 37 percent from the floor, 5-19 for 26 percent from the three point line and just 8-16 from the free throw line.
In the first half, Utah made 8-27 for 29 percent from the field. They had three separate occasions in the opening half with scoring droughts. The first one was 6:45 long. Second one lasted 2:51 and the third one in the first half was 3:53.
Timmy Allen had just six points in the loss to Oregon State on 3-8 shooting. Allen, Riley Battin and Rylan Jones shot a combined 5-21 from the floor and 2-8 from beyond the arc.
Utes Struggled On Defensive End
Utah entered the game against Oregon State with a two-game winning streak and those victories mainly came from their defense. Against the Beavers, Utah couldn’t get the necessary stops to make up for their poor shooting.
Oregon State shot 47 percent from the field, 38 percent from downtown and made 14 of their 15 free throw attempts.
A big reason for their second straight win was getting 32 points in the paint. Utah had just 22 points in the paint.
Utah dropped their record to 14-10 overall and 5-7 in Pac-12 play. They will finish their two game road trip on Sunday against No. 17 Oregon. Tip-off is at 7 p.m. and will be broadcast on FS1.
The Crimson Corner podcast is the one-stop for all things University of Utah Athletics hosted by Utah insider Trevor Allen. Ute fans will find interviews with current players, coaches, and staff alongside expert analysis of every game, story and angle coming out of the University of Utah.
You can download and listen to the podcast, here.
- Four Candidates To Be Utah Football's Next 'Head Coach In Waiting' - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1274)
- Stanford Athletics Will Cut 11 Varsity Sports Following 2020-21 Season - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1078)
- Four Candidates To Be Utah Football's Next 'Head Coach In Waiting' - KSL Sports (pageviews: 927)
- Report: Kansas City Chiefs Reach Agreement With QB Patrick Mahomes On 10-Year Contract Extension - KSL Sports (pageviews: 889)
- Emmanuel Mudiay Will Miss Jazz Fans In First Playoffs - KSL Sports (pageviews: 866)
- Five BYU Football Newcomers Who Could Make An Impact In 2020 - KSL Sports (pageviews: 856)
- Local Teams Wish Fans Happy Independence Day, Happy Fourth Of July (pageviews: 483)
- Karl Malone Jr. Addresses Father's Statutory Rape History - KSL Sports (pageviews: 423)
- Jimmer Fredette Becomes Free Agent After Parting Ways With Panathinaikos - KSL Sports (pageviews: 409)