Sam Merrill Reaches 2,000 Points, Moves Up Utah State’s Career Scoring List
FORT COLLINS, Colo. – Utah State star guard Sam Merrill has reached a new milestone and moved up the school’s career scoring list in the first half against Colorado State.
Merrill needed just 4 points to reach 2,000 career points, becoming the fourth Utah State basketball player to reach that milestone.
The next bucket after reaching 2,000 points, Merrill passed Wayne Estes for third as the all-time scoring leader in school history. Estes had 2,001 career points.
Merrill now sits behind Greg Grant at No. 2 with 2,159 career points from 1982-86. The all-time leader is Jaycee Carroll who had 2,522 in his legendary career at Utah State from 2004-08.
In Merrill’s legendary career, he scored 282 points, averaging 9.1 points per game as a freshman during the 2016-17 season. In 2017-18 as a sophomore, Merrill recorded 555 points while averaging 16.3 points. As a junior last season, Merrill exploded for 731 points, averaging 20.9 points per contest. This season, Merrill has scored 440 points and is averaging 17.8 points per game.
The senior from Bountiful, Utah finished the first half against Colorado State with 12 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists and 1 steal on 5-9 shooting from the floor and 2-5 from beyond the arc.
- Shaq Doesn't Like Painting Of Donovan Mitchell Dunking On Him - KSL Sports (pageviews: 6097)
- Steve Kerr Thinks Jazz Are Where Warriors Were 'Three Or Four Years Ago' - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2413)
- Donovan Mitchell Responds To Shaq; Media, Celebrities React - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1698)
- Utah Gymnast Fighting To Make Olympic Trials After Bout With COVID-19 - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1631)
- Jimmer Fredette Continues To Ball Out In China, Drops 70 Points - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1268)
- Jazz Obliterate The Warriors On Historic Night - KSL Sports (pageviews: 977)
- Local NFL Players, Coaches Participating In Super Bowl LV On February 7 (pageviews: 914)
- BYU Guard Alex Barcello Loses Part Of Tooth During Pepperdine Game - KSL Sports (pageviews: 865)
- NFL Star JJ Watt Praises Former BYU TE Matt Bushman For Creating Foundation - KSL Sports (pageviews: 717)