Tyler Huntley Should Blow People Away In XFL On Path To NFL
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The XFL, a new professional football league launched this weekend. A league of this nature is the perfect place for former Utah quarterback Tyler Huntley, according to Scott Mitchell, another former Utah quarterback.
Tyler Huntley had the best season of his college career in 2019. That season was also his senior season. He threw for 3,092 yards, 19 touchdowns and only 4 interceptions. He led the Utes to the Pac-12 Championship game where they lost to the Oregon Ducks.
Much to the surprise of some Utah football plans, media members and Huntley himself, he did not get an invite to this year’s NFL Combine.
Without an invite to the NFL Combine, it is hard for a guy like Huntley to get drafted. He could end up on a practice squad but Mitchell, a former NFL quarterback thinks Huntley should try his hand at the XFL.
Spending time in the XFL would equate to Huntley getting playing time (which he would not get in the NFL). He would be facing talented players and getting lots of reps, which could help better prepare him for a spot on an NFL team.
Mitchell has experience in this, during his first few NFL seasons he played a season in the World League, a similar type of developmental league, the playing time he got there was “invaluable” because at that time he was the backup for Dan Marino with the Miami Dolphins. Needless to say, he didn’t get many chances to play.
Players like Huntley could also help the XFL by boosting the league’s star power and talent. People would recognize his name and be more likely to watch or attend games.
If the XFL were treated as a developmental league for guys like Huntley, people would want to watch because they would be curious about who the next breakout NFL star would be.
Also this week on Helmets Off, Mitchell discussed whether or not he thinks the XFL will last and all of the big-name NFL quarterbacks who are now free agents. Listen to the full episode below.
Scott Mitchell hosts the Helmets Off podcast featuring conversations about football and life. Subscribe wherever you find podcasts or on the KSL Sports app.
- Instant Replay: Tom Brady Throws TD Pass To Drew Brees' Son After Beating Dad In NFL Playoffs (pageviews: 8592)
- Saints List QB Taysom Hill As 'Inactive' For NFC Divisional Round Against Buccaneers (pageviews: 6703)
- San Francisco 49ers Sign Former BYU Lineman Corbin Kaufusi (pageviews: 2422)
- Former Weber State Star Taron Johnson Ties NFL Postseason Record In Divisional Round Win (pageviews: 2316)
- Former BYU RB Jamaal Williams Helps Packers Run Into NFC Championship Game (pageviews: 2075)
- Utah State Releases Findings Of Investigation Into Comments Made By USU President About Frank Maile - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1477)
- BYU Basketball Takes On San Francisco Seeking Another Resume Building Win - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1391)
- Saints List QB Taysom Hill As 'Questionable' For NFC Divisional Round Against Buccaneers (pageviews: 1350)
- Analysis: BYU Basketball Reveals Team Identity During Road Sweep - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1067)