Utes Center Branden Carlson Named Pac-12 Freshman Of The Week
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – University of Utah men’s basketball center Branden Carlson was named Pac-12 Freshman of the Week after his performances against Stanford and California this past week.
This is Carlson’s first honor and the second Freshman of the Week award for Utah with Rylan Jones winning back on January 27.
The South Jordan, Utah native had a career-night in the Utes’ big overtime win over Stanford on Thursday night. Carlson recorded 15 points, 10 rebounds and 8 blocks. He tied Jason Washburn for third on Utah’s all-time single game blocks list. It was Carlson’s first career double-double.
In Utah’s win over California on Saturday, Carlson chipped in six points, one rebound and one block while fouling out of the game late in the second half.
Carlson is only the fourth freshman this season to record eight blocks in a single game at the Division I level. He joined Joshua Morgan from Long Beach State, USC big man Onyeka Okongwu and Eric Rustin from UT Martin. Also, Carlson is only the 24th player this season to record eight or more blocks in a single game.
The Utes will take their two-game winning streak on the road when they square off with the Oregon State Beavers on Thursday night at 7 p.m. The game will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Network.
The University of Utah women’s basketball team received an award as well as Brynna Maxwell was named Pac-12 Freshman of the Week as the Utes picked up a road sweep over the Washington schools.
In their 74-65 win over Washington, Maxwell had a game-high 16 points along with 7 rebounds and 2 steals in her hometown in front of family and friends in Seattle. Against Washington State, Maxwell dropped 22 points, 4 rebounds and 2 assists in their 78-66 win.
The Crimson Corner podcast is the one-stop for all things University of Utah Athletics hosted by Utah insider Trevor Allen. Ute fans will find interviews with current players, coaches, and staff alongside expert analysis of every game, story and angle coming out of the University of Utah.
You can download and listen to the podcast, here.
- BYU Pole Vaulter Suffers Gut-Wrenching Groin Injury, Video Goes Viral On Social Media (pageviews: 8669)
- With Drew Brees Returning In 2020, What Does That Mean For Taysom Hill? - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2334)
- Joe Ingles Complains On Twitter, Mitchell, Gobert Jokingly Respond - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1923)
- RSL-Live - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1013)
- BYU's Path To Top 25 Ranking Was Difficult, But Rewarding - KSL Sports (pageviews: 834)
- Documentary Chronicles Stockton And Malone's Careers, Shortcomings - KSL Sports (pageviews: 702)
- Mark Pope Continues To Amaze, May Be 'Most Interesting' Man Alive - KSL Sports (pageviews: 688)
- Eight Of BYU's 2020 Opponents Ahead Of Cougars In Early Rankings - KSL Sports (pageviews: 619)
- Gavin Baxter Is A Player To Watch For BYU Against Santa Clara's Big Frontcourt - KSL Sports (pageviews: 434)