Sam Merrill And His (almost) 2k Points Goes 1-on-1 With The Scotsman
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Utah State avenged their earlier loss to Boise State with 70-61, slugfest of a win Saturday night at the Spectrum.
The night celebrated 50 years of the Spectrum and was the 55th anniversary of Wayne Estes eclipsing 2,000 career points.
Another Aggie had that same opportunity.
Sam Merrill came into the game 21 points shy of 2,000 career points and what a story it would have been to be able to complete that feat on the very night an Aggie legend did the same 55 years previous.
However, Merrill got into early foul trouble and sat for over 13 minutes in the second half. He ended the game with 15 points, 6 shy of the magic number and the storybook ending.
Merrill was still kind enough to stick around after the game and talk to me about the pressure of 2,000 points, his legacy as an Aggie, and some of his favorite shots along the way to 2,000.
Listen to the full interview on The Scotsman below.
- BYU Pole Vaulter Suffers Gut-Wrenching Groin Injury, Video Goes Viral On Social Media (pageviews: 8669)
- With Drew Brees Returning In 2020, What Does That Mean For Taysom Hill? - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2334)
- Joe Ingles Complains On Twitter, Mitchell, Gobert Jokingly Respond - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1923)
- RSL-Live - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1013)
- BYU's Path To Top 25 Ranking Was Difficult, But Rewarding - KSL Sports (pageviews: 834)
- Documentary Chronicles Stockton And Malone's Careers, Shortcomings - KSL Sports (pageviews: 702)
- Mark Pope Continues To Amaze, May Be 'Most Interesting' Man Alive - KSL Sports (pageviews: 688)
- Eight Of BYU's 2020 Opponents Ahead Of Cougars In Early Rankings - KSL Sports (pageviews: 619)
- Gavin Baxter Is A Player To Watch For BYU Against Santa Clara's Big Frontcourt - KSL Sports (pageviews: 434)