Three Takeaways From Utah’s Massive Win Over Washington
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The University of Utah men’s basketball team needed a furious comeback but they were able to snap their four-game losing streak with a 67-66 win over Washington.
Rylan Jones knocked down two clutch free throws with 14 seconds left to give Utah the victory.
Here is the Crimson Corner’s “three man weave” from Utah’s win over the Huskies.
Riley Battin Has Season-Best Performance
Battin made a big impact on the game against Washington. He scored 17 points and pulled down 5 rebounds, while knocking down two shots from beyond the arc.
Also, when Jones made the two clutch free throws to give Utah a one point lead with 14 seconds left, Battin made a key charge on Washington’s possession to possibly win the game.
The sophomore made the team’s only three pointers for most of the game. He knocked down two of the Utes’ three 3-pointers.
Rylan Jones Has Ice In His Veins
After a scoreless first half against the Washington, Rylan Jones had a huge second half performance, including the two free throws to win the game. The true freshman finished with 13 points, 7 rebounds and 9 assists. He made 9-10 from the free throw line in the most clutch moments of the game.
During the early portion of the second half, Jones was missing shots and was clearly frustrated but he remained composed and started to attack the rim and getting to the free throw line.
Utes Still Won Despite Poor Shooting
Entering the game against Washington, Utah shot below 30 percent in three of their four game losing streak. That was the case again on Thursday against the Huskies. Utah finished the game shooting 33 percent from the field and 3-24 from the three point line for 12 percent.
The big reason for Utah’s comeback was they made 24 of their 32 attempts from the free throw line. Also, their defense stepped up in the last part of the game when they made the comeback from down 10 points.
The Utes improved their record to 11-7 overall, 2-4 in Pac-12 play. They will return to the Jon M. Huntsman Center on Saturday to face the Washington State Cougars. Tip-off is at 5 p.m. and will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Network.
The Crimson Corner podcast is the one-stop for all things University of Utah Athletics hosted by Utah insider Trevor Allen. Ute fans will find interviews with current players, coaches, and staff alongside expert analysis of every game, story and angle coming out of the University of Utah.
You can download and listen to the podcast, here.
- Utah Company Not Renewing Jazz Suite After Racial Equality Protests - KSL Sports (pageviews: 15664)
- Utah Company Not Renewing Jazz Suite After Racial Equality Protests - KSL Sports (pageviews: 6599)
- Best-Selling Book Reveals Tom Brady Was 'Courted' By BYU Football - KSL Sports (pageviews: 3761)
- Utah Company Not Renewing Jazz Suite After Racial Equality Protests - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2028)
- Best-Selling Book Reveals Tom Brady Was 'Courted' By BYU Football - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1341)
- Sonny Detmer, Father Of Former BYU Legend Ty Detmer, Passes Away - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1064)
- BYU's Matt Haarms Appears On Top College Basketball Players List - KSL Sports (pageviews: 974)
- BYU Announces Partnership With Opendorse To Create Name, Image, And Likeness Program - KSL Sports (pageviews: 927)
- Troy Head Coach Chip Lindsey Knows, Inspired By BYU Football History - KSL Sports (pageviews: 823)