Mitchell, Gobert, Conley Help Jazz Control Pacers For 30th Victory Of Season
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Jazzmen Donovan Mitchell, Rudy Gobert, and Mike Conley led Utah to an easy victory over the Indiana Pacers.
The Jazz hosted the Pacers at Vivint Smart Home Arena on Monday, January 20.
Mitchell, Gobert, and Conley played excellent basketball from the moment they stepped on the court against the Pacers. The Jazz were dominant throughout the game and won all four quarters. Indiana never led.
Utah jumped out to an eight-point lead midway through the opening quarter of play and pushed their lead to a consistent double-digit advantage halfway through the second quarter. The game was never particularly close from that point on.
The Jazz held a 56-44 lead at halftime and opened the third quarter on a 7-0 run. It was smooth sailing from there on out to the finish.
Utah’s Big 3
Mitchell was hot in the second half and finished with a game-high 25 points. He shot 11-19 from the field and 2-5 from distance. Mitchell recorded 2 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, and a block in 31 minutes of play.
He and Gobert feasted against the Pacers and looked like the NBA All-Stars they hope to be named for the league’s outstanding players.
Gobert was the best player on the floor during the majority of his 31 minutes of play. He continued his trend of posting a double-double stat line against the Eastern Conference for. Gobert scored 20 points including an impressive alley-oop dunk from Mitchell in the third quarter. The Jazz center also pulled down 14 rebounds, dished out 2 assists, and swatted an Indiana shot for a block.
He entered the game with the league’s second-highest field goal percentage at 67.8 percent on the season. Against the Pacers, he shot 8-11 from the field and 4-4 on free throws. He posted a team-high plus-minus rating of +24.
Conley came off the bench for the second straight game as Jazz head coach Quin Snyder continued in easing him back after missing a month due to injury.
The Jazz guard played a great game in limited minutes. He scored 14 points in 18 minutes of play. Conley shot 6-8 on field goals and commanded Utah’s offense to brilliance. He pulled a rebound and passed out a couple of assists in the blowout victory.
Jazz forward Bojan Bogdanovic added 16 points and 4 rebounds.
Georges Niang led Utah’s second unit with 15 points on 5-9 shooting.
Utah’s offense was great as the Jazz shot 54 percent on field goals and 38.7 percent on three-pointers. The Jazz outscored the Pacers by 14 points in the paint.
Utah posted a dominant performance throughout the entire game despite turning the ball over 21 times.
Paced Their Play
The Jazz were also excellent on defense and limited the Pacers to 41.9 percent shooting and only 26.9 percent from behind the arc.
No Pacer scored more than 12 points in the loss.
Indiana’s Myles Turner and Aaron Holiday each scored 12 points.
With the loss, Indiana fell to 28-16 on the season and 11-11 away from Indianapolis.
The Jazz improved to 30-13 overall and 17-3 at Vivint Smart Home Arena.
The Jazz travel to the Bay Area for their next game. Utah plays against the Golden State Warriors (10-34) on Wednesday, January 22 at 8 p.m. (MDT).
- BYU Mascot Cosmo Receives Bid In Best Mascot Bracket After Fans, ADs Get Upset - KSL Sports (pageviews: 6308)
- Former Ute Isaac Asiata Sworn In As Provo Police Officer - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2656)
- BYU Coach Mark Pope's Daughter, Ella, Featured In General Conference Talk - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2198)
- 10 Memorable Moments From BYU's Cosmo - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1015)
- Real Salt Lake Announces Cutbacks, Layoffs, Furloughs Amidst Coronavirus Pandemic - KSL Sports (pageviews: 817)
- 26 Years Of The Sandlot: Utah Locations To Visit - KSL Sports (pageviews: 649)
- Hockey Season Came To Disappointing End For Herriman's Mannek Who Was In Playoff Hunt - KSL Sports (pageviews: 587)
- Utah QB Tyler Huntley's Personal Pro Day Numbers Were Better Than Any Quarterback At NFL Combine - KSL Sports (pageviews: 448)
- Mark Cuban Has 'More Than A Sliver Of Hope' NBA Will Return This Season - KSL Sports (pageviews: 402)