Former NFL Quarterback: Jordan Love Should Not Enter NFL Draft
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Utah State quarterback Jordan Love is taking the same steps former NFL quarterback Scott Mitchell took as he prepares to forgo his senior season and enter the NFL Draft. Mitchell’s advice to Love? Don’t do it.
Love announced his decision on Twitter earlier this week.
“Playing for the Aggies has been a dream come true, and with that being said, I am ready to chase after my next dream,” Love wrote.
Love assured fans he will be playing in the Aggie’s bowl game against Kent State.
This season was up and down for Love. At the beginning of the season, he was so highly touted that the school started a “Love For Heisman” campaign. His season didn’t quite live up to the hype partly because the offensive line struggled.
Love threw for 3,085 yards with 17 touchdowns and 16 interceptions this season. During the 2018 season, Love posted a much better touchdown/interception ratio at 32/6.
“I think you need to be going into the Draft on an upward trajectory… on a high note,” said Mitchell on Love’s decision to follow in his footsteps.
Mitchell & Love’s Similar Paths
Mitchell played quarterback at the University of Utah in the ’80s. Like Love, Mitchell did not play his senior season after choosing to enter the NFL Draft. He was drafted by the Miami Dolphins.
His decision worked out well for his career. He played in the league for twelve years spending the majority of his time with the Detroit Lions.
“When you are having a struggling year like Jordan Love had it’s really challenging,” continued Mitchell.
The former Ute is worried that a “major caution flag” went up for teams after they watched Love this season because it seems like he couldn’t handle the pressure of the spotlight.
“The spotlight is ALWAYS on you in the NFL,” said Mitchell. “And that is a lot of pressure.”
According to Mitchell, the best decision Love could have made would have been to stay in college, maybe even as a graduate transfer, to lift his chances of going into the draft on a high note, rather than a tough year.
You can listen to the full conversation about Jordan Love’s decision on Rivals Podcast hosted by Scott Mitchell and Jason Buck.
Rivals is hosted by a former Ute and a former Cougar. They talk college football, NFL football and life. Subscribe wherever you get podcasts or on the KSL Sports app.
- AP Voter Admits He Forgot To Rank BYU Basketball In Top 25 - KSL Sports (pageviews: 9126)
- Viral BYU Pole Vaulter Speaks On Accident: 'It Was A Quick Burst Of Pain' - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1607)
- Andy Reid To Speak At BYU Football Coaching Clinic During Spring Ball - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1050)
- BYU Head Coach Pays For Students' Dinner After Taking Down Zags - KSL Sports (pageviews: 922)
- Is It Too Late To Fix The Utah Jazz? - KSL Sports (pageviews: 805)
- Former Jazz All-Star Deron Williams Attends Phoenix Suns/Utah Jazz Game (pageviews: 804)
- BYU Basketball To Play In Bahamas As Part Of 2020 Junkanoo Jam - KSL Sports (pageviews: 798)
- 10 Questions Heading Into BYU Football Spring Practice (pageviews: 743)
- Celtics' Gordon Hayward Returns To SLC For Second Time Since Leaving Utah Jazz (pageviews: 455)