Scalley Received Valuable Advice From Whittingham When He Started Coaching
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Utah Utes defensive coordinator Morgan Scalley acknowledged head coach Kyle Whittingham during his speech at the Broyles Award ceremony.
Scalley was one of the five finalists for the award given to the top assistant coach in college football.
“SEC, Pac-12 whatever it is we have one thing in common, and that is beat Texas,” Scalley opened his speech. The Utes face Texas in the Alamo Bowl on December 31.
You can watch Scalley’s speech below.
His speech included a Forest Gump impersonation when acknowledging his wife.
“I feel like Forest Gump in a lot of ways,” Scalley said. (in Forest Gump voice) “I am not a smart man but I do know what love is.”
The Utah native told the audience why he got into the coaching business.
“I got into coaching because of gentlemen that gave me confidence, that taught me what it takes to be successful in life,” Scalley said. “From my first coach ever, my dad Bud Scalley in little league, to my high school coaches, to my college coaches Ron McBride and Kyle Whittingham, my defensive coordinator and the man that allowed me into the business.”
When he was hired on Whittingham’s staff, the Utah head coach had some advice for Scalley about the coaching profession.
“When I got into the profession,” Scalley mentioned. “Coach Whittingham pulled me aside and said ‘Morgan, understand this, there are thousands of great coaches out there, just ask them and they will tell you. But it is all about the player. We have jobs because there are football players, it’s not the other way around. The moment that you forget that, you will find yourself out of the business very quickly.'”
LSU passing game coordinator Joe Brady was honored with the 2019 Broyles Award.
The Crimson Corner podcast is the one-stop for all things University of Utah Athletics hosted by Utah insider Trevor Allen. Ute fans will find interviews with current players, coaches, and staff alongside expert analysis of every game, story and angle coming out of the University of Utah.
You can download and listen to the podcast, here.
- With No Games Against Big 12 Teams, Where Does BYU Go From Here? - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2350)
- Bingham Football Game Against Weber Canceled After Miner Players Test Positive For COVID-19 (pageviews: 1546)
- BYU Announces Football Series Against Troy Trojans - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1502)
- With No Games Against Big 12 Teams, Where Does BYU Go From Here? - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1464)
- While Other Programs Shut Down, BYU Continues On With 'Lively And Enjoyable' Camp - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1122)
- Dixie State Football Team Pulls Woman To Safety After Her Hair Gets Caught In Rappelling Rope - KSL Sports (pageviews: 586)
- Heralded BYU Newcomer Kody Epps Already Standing Out During Camp - KSL Sports (pageviews: 584)
- College Football Conferences, Teams Still Planning To Play Fall Football - KSL Sports (pageviews: 522)
- While Other Programs Shut Down, BYU Continues On With 'Lively And Enjoyable' Camp - KSL Sports (pageviews: 460)