Utes Slowly Complete Comeback In Overtime Win Over BYU
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The University of Utah basketball team trailed by 16 points in the first half, but completed the comeback with a 102-95 win over rival BYU in overtime.
The Cougars had the largest lead with 13 minutes remaining in the first half, due to the hot shooting of their star big man Yoeli Childs with 18 of his 29 points coming in the first 20 minutes.
But, the young Utah Utes slowly chipped away at the deficit, trailing by eight points at halftime. BYU brought the advantage back up to double digits.
In the final 4:41 of the second half, Childs left the game with an undisclosed injury and never returned. The Utes pulled within three points with 22 seconds left when freshman Rylan Jones drilled a three-pointer to tie the game. BYU’s Alex Barcello couldn’t win the game at the buzzer, sending the rivalry showdown into overtime.
In the extra period, Utah outscored BYU 16-9 in overtime to pick up the win. The Utes took their first lead of the game with 4:49 left in overtime.
Timmy Allen led the Utes with 27 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists in 42 minutes on the floor. He shot 12-20 from the field. Jones finished with a career-high 25 points, along with 3 rebounds and 6 assists, shooting 9-15 from the field and 3-7 from downtown.
Utah was able to get to the foul line, making 24 of their 31 attempts and kept BYU off of the charity stripe, converting 13-17.
For BYU, Jake Toolson dropped 27 points, 9 rebounds and 6 assists. The Cougars turned the ball over 20 times compared to Utah’s 11. They hit 12-24 from downtown, while the Utes made just 4 of 18.
The Utes improved their record to 6-2 on the season. They will return to the Huntsman Center on Saturday for their final home game of their non-conference schedule to face Central Arkansas at 3 p.m. on the Pac-12 Network.
- With No Games Against Big 12 Teams, Where Does BYU Go From Here? - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2350)
- Bingham Football Game Against Weber Canceled After Miner Players Test Positive For COVID-19 (pageviews: 1546)
- BYU Announces Football Series Against Troy Trojans - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1502)
- With No Games Against Big 12 Teams, Where Does BYU Go From Here? - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1464)
- While Other Programs Shut Down, BYU Continues On With 'Lively And Enjoyable' Camp - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1122)
- Dixie State Football Team Pulls Woman To Safety After Her Hair Gets Caught In Rappelling Rope - KSL Sports (pageviews: 586)
- Heralded BYU Newcomer Kody Epps Already Standing Out During Camp - KSL Sports (pageviews: 584)
- College Football Conferences, Teams Still Planning To Play Fall Football - KSL Sports (pageviews: 522)
- While Other Programs Shut Down, BYU Continues On With 'Lively And Enjoyable' Camp - KSL Sports (pageviews: 460)