Utes Suffer Disappointing Loss To Coastal Carolina
CONWAY, S.C. – The University of Utah basketball team lost their first game of the 2019-20 season at the hands of Coastal Carolina 79-57 in the Myrtle Beach Invitational.
Utah struggled shooting the ball but was able to hang with Coastal Carolina and trailed 36-30 at halftime. The adjustments at the break didn’t benefit the Utes as they committed unforced turnovers and continued to struggle in the second half, being outscored 43-27.
Timmy Allen was the only player for Utah to reach double figures in scoring with 15 points. He only scored two points in the second half. Allen also had 9 rebounds and one assist in 27 minutes on the floor.
Coastal Carolina’s defense was stifling enough to limit Utah to 33 percent shooting from the field and 18 percent from downtown (5-of-28).
Utah committed 15 turnovers, while Coastal Carolina capitalized by scoring 19 points off of those miscues. On the other side, Coastal Carolina turned the ball over 11 times and Utah had just 9 points off the those turnovers.
With all of the momentum that Utah had entering the game with a 3-0 record and wins over Nevada, Mississippi Valley State and Minnesota, it was disappointing to lose to Coastal Carolina, who was picked to finish seventh in the Sun Belt conference preseason poll.
Utah dropped to 3-1 on the season and will play Ohio on Friday in the consolation bracket of the Myrtle Beach Invitational. The game will begin at 5:30 p.m. and will be broadcast on ESPNews.
- Four Candidates To Be Utah Football's Next 'Head Coach In Waiting' - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1274)
- Stanford Athletics Will Cut 11 Varsity Sports Following 2020-21 Season - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1078)
- Four Candidates To Be Utah Football's Next 'Head Coach In Waiting' - KSL Sports (pageviews: 927)
- Report: Kansas City Chiefs Reach Agreement With QB Patrick Mahomes On 10-Year Contract Extension - KSL Sports (pageviews: 889)
- Emmanuel Mudiay Will Miss Jazz Fans In First Playoffs - KSL Sports (pageviews: 866)
- Five BYU Football Newcomers Who Could Make An Impact In 2020 - KSL Sports (pageviews: 856)
- Local Teams Wish Fans Happy Independence Day, Happy Fourth Of July (pageviews: 483)
- Karl Malone Jr. Addresses Father's Statutory Rape History - KSL Sports (pageviews: 423)
- Jimmer Fredette Becomes Free Agent After Parting Ways With Panathinaikos - KSL Sports (pageviews: 409)