Utah Breaks Division-I Basketball Record In Win Over Mississippi Valley State
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The University of Utah Runnin’ Utes set a new Division I record for the largest margin of victory between to D-I schools when they beat Mississippi Valley State, 143-49.
The previous record was a 91-point victory back in 1995 when Tulsa beat Prairie View.
Utah broke a school record as well for most points in a single game. A record that was set in 1960 when they scored 132 points against Evansville.
Timmy Allen led the way with 26 points on 9-of-11 shooting from the field. Both Gach and Rylan Jones each notched a triple-double, the first one for the Utes since Alex Jensen in 1999. Gach had 12 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists. Jones recorded 10 points, 10 rebounds and 11 assists.
Nine Utah players scored in double figures, along with Allen, Gach and Jones, Branden Carlson had 14, Riley Battin added 15, Eli Ballstaedt chipped in 12, Alfonso Plummer had 17, Jaxon Brenchley scored 14, Matt Van Komen had 12.
As a team, the Utes shot 63 percent from the field, 50 percent from downtown and 92 percent from the free throw line. The Delta Devils shot just 26 percent from the field, 13 percent from beyond the arc and just 3-of-6 from the foul line.
It was the first time that Utah scored 100 points in a game since 2015. They also broke the school record for most three-pointers made with 17.
The Utes improved to 2-0 on the season and will return to the Jon M. Huntsman Center next Friday to face Minnesota. Tip-off is at 7 p.m. on the Pac-12 Network.
The Crimson Corner podcast is the one-stop for all things University of Utah Athletics hosted by Utah insider Trevor Allen. Ute fans will find interviews with current players, coaches and staff alongside expert analysis of every game, story and angle coming out of the University of Utah.
You can download and listen to the podcast, here.
- BYU Makes Top 5 Cut For East Tennessee State's Daivien Williamson - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1085)
- BYU Makes Top 5 Cut For East Tennessee State's Daivien Williamson - KSL Sports (pageviews: 658)
- Utah Jazz Coach Jerry Sloan Archives - KSL Sports (pageviews: 597)
- LHM Group, American Red Cross To Host Blood Drive At Vivint Smart Home Arena - KSL Sports (pageviews: 568)
- Soccer Tournament To Allow Graduating Seniors Last Opportunity To Represent School - KSL Sports (pageviews: 550)
- How Former Utah CB Javelin Guidry Will Fit In With New York Jets - KSL Sports (pageviews: 504)
- Jimmer Fredette Tells Mac McClung To 'Come Be Legendary' At BYU - KSL Sports (pageviews: 486)
- Karl Malone Jr. Addresses Father's Statutory Rape History - KSL Sports (pageviews: 443)
- Three Times Post Malone Gave Utahns Something To Smile About - KSL Sports (pageviews: 425)