Utes Stand As Only FBS Team Without Turnovers, Sacks
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Through the first two weeks of the college football season, the University of Utah football team has not allowed a sack or have turned the ball over. They are the only school in FBS to do so.
It’s a big accomplishment for Utah because the FBS has 130 teams.
“I think Andy’s philosophy on offense No. 1 rule is to take care of the football, and he has proven to do that in his first two weeks,” Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham said at his weekly press conference. “Back to Tyler making good decisions with getting rid of the ball at the right time has helped with the no sacks, along with his elusiveness.”
It is the first two-game stretch by the Utes without allowing a sack since 2015.
Most of the credit goes to quarterback Tyler Huntley, who has been very efficient through the first two games of the season, wins over BYU and Northern Illinois.
His quarterback rating ranks in the top 10 in the country and is the third highest in the Pac-12.
“He (Huntley) has had some times where a guy not as athletic as him might of gotten sacked, but because he is athlete he was able to get out of those situations,” Whittingham said. “So, it isn’t something that will last forever, but it has been two good weeks of that. We would love to extend it, but realistically it isn’t something we can do all season.”
The rest of the credit goes to the skill position players, who have done a great job holding onto the football and especially the offensive line for keeping Huntley from getting sacked.
Also, the Utes are No. 1 in the country in another statistical category, they are tied for first with two defensive touchdowns, both interception returns against BYU. Utah is tied with Wyoming and Nebraska for the top spot in the nation.
- Joe Ingles Complains On Twitter, Mitchell, Gobert Jokingly Respond - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2341)
- With Drew Brees Returning In 2020, What Does That Mean For Taysom Hill? - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2334)
- BYU's Path To Top 25 Ranking Was Difficult, But Rewarding - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2032)
- BYU Basketball Ranked In AP Top 25 For 1st Time In Nine Years - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1092)
- Former Utah DT John Penisini Didn't Expect To Be In Position To Get Drafted - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1006)
- BYU Basketball Home Finale Against No. 2 Gonzaga Is Sold Out - KSL Sports (pageviews: 792)
- Projecting BYU Football's 2020 Offensive Depth Chart - KSL Sports (pageviews: 364)
- BYU's Cosmo Leads Comedian To Break Down Viral Dunk With Bill Walton Impression - KSL Sports (pageviews: 360)
- RSL-Live - KSL Sports (pageviews: 297)