Christen Press Puts Stamp On USWNT’s Win Over Mexico
HARRISON, N.J. – The United State’s Women’s National Team played their final tune up game before they go to France for the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup. Utah Royals FC striker Christen Press scored late in the match to help the U.S. beat Mexico 3-0.
Press scored her 48th goal for the national team in the 88th minute as she slalomed through defenders to strike the ball at the top of the box.
Her goal came after Tobin Heath started the game with a goal in the 11th minute and Mallory Pugh added the second one in the 76th.
The Utah Royals star started the game on the bench but came on to put the nail in the coffin for the United States.
The local Utah NWSL squad has two other players on the USWNT and the pair of defenders Becky Sauerbrunn and Kelley O’Hara started the match. Sauerbrunn came off during the game, but O’Hara played the full 90 minutes.
The Utah Royals trio will all be making their second appearance in a Women’s World Cup.
They will head to France and will begin Group F play on June 11 at 1 p.m. against Thailand. Their next match will be on June 16 against Chile at 10 a.m. and the final group game will be against Sweden at 1 p.m. on June 20.
All three matches will be broadcast on FOX.
- AP Voter Admits He Forgot To Rank BYU Basketball In Top 25 - KSL Sports (pageviews: 9126)
- Viral BYU Pole Vaulter Speaks On Accident: 'It Was A Quick Burst Of Pain' - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1607)
- Andy Reid To Speak At BYU Football Coaching Clinic During Spring Ball - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1050)
- BYU Head Coach Pays For Students' Dinner After Taking Down Zags - KSL Sports (pageviews: 922)
- Is It Too Late To Fix The Utah Jazz? - KSL Sports (pageviews: 805)
- Former Jazz All-Star Deron Williams Attends Phoenix Suns/Utah Jazz Game (pageviews: 804)
- BYU Basketball To Play In Bahamas As Part Of 2020 Junkanoo Jam - KSL Sports (pageviews: 798)
- 10 Questions Heading Into BYU Football Spring Practice (pageviews: 743)
- Celtics' Gordon Hayward Returns To SLC For Second Time Since Leaving Utah Jazz (pageviews: 455)