BYU, Utah Rivalry Renewed In Boxing Ring On Saturday
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – FitCon is Utah’s premier fitness expedition held at the Salt Palace on Friday and Saturday. Founded by former Utah football player Dallin Rogers in 2015, FitCon brings energy and offers a range of different events to keep you entertained from key note speakers, sumo wrestling and the main event on Saturday night, the Utah vs. BYU boxing matches.
For the past three years, FitCon has provided its guests with boxing matches on Saturday night. This year, a handful of former football players and executives will compete against one and other in the hopes of becoming a boxing star in front of an expected 5,000 fans.
Former BYU and NFL linebacker Brian Kehl is taking on former Utah linebacker Boo Anderson, while former BYU quarterback Riley Nelson is fighting KSLSports.com’s very own, Andy Phillips.
Preparation for the fight started 8 weeks ago, all fighters received complimentary boxing training from Legends Boxing and were taught the correct boxing etiquette…if there is such thing.
Phillips and Nelson must weigh in at 200 lbs or less by Saturday, a feat in which Phillips has found easier said than done. The former Utah kicker weighed in at 225 lbs 8 weeks ago, an intense daily schedule that includes a weight lifting session, boxing class and anywhere from 6 to 10 miles of running along with a diet that includes intermittent fasting has allowed Phillips to shed weight at rapid speed.
On Thursday’s Special Forces Gang episode, Riley Nelson joined Tom Hackett and his competitor Andy Phillips and the two went back and forth debating on how the fight will pan out.
“Despite the fact that Nelson has multiple years of training and experience in the ring, he trusts his preparation, hard work and instinct when the bright lights come on,” Phillips said.
Nelson spoke of his successful boxing lineage that started with both great grandfathers back in the 20’s and 30’s.
To listen to the entire episode of Special Forces Gang, click here.
Tickets to FitCon are available at www.fitcon.com.
- Local Teams Wish Fans Happy Independence Day, Happy Fourth Of July (pageviews: 12428)
- Former MLB Pitcher Tyson Brummett, Three Others Die In Utah Plane Crash (pageviews: 2364)
- Watch Jimmer Fredette Pulling Off Amazing Basketball Trick Shots - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1061)
- Watch Jimmer Fredette Pulling Off Amazing Basketball Trick Shots - KSL Sports (pageviews: 615)
- BYU Basketball Roster 2020-21 Built Off Impact Transfers - KSL Sports (pageviews: 516)
- Disney Themed NBA Jerseys Feature New Spin On Jazz Purple Mountain Uniform - KSL Sports (pageviews: 489)
- BYU Football Extends Offer To Timpview QB Liu Aumavae - KSL Sports (pageviews: 465)
- Report: NBA, NBAPA Agree On List Of Custom Jersey Messages For League's Restart (pageviews: 414)
- BYU Football Extends Offer To Timpview QB Liu Aumavae - KSL Sports (pageviews: 392)