Mitch Wishnowsky Reveals He Played The Pac-12 Championship Game With Appendicitis
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Former Utah punter Mitch Wishnowsky played for the Utes for three seasons during 2016-19. While at Utah he won the Ray Guy Award, awarded to the nations best collegiate punter, in 2016 and was a three time All American.
He is currently preparing for the NFL Combine which is scheduled for April 25-27. If Wishnowsky ends up being drafted, he will become only the third Utah football punter and the first since 1979 to be drafted into the NFL.
During Tuesday’s episode of Special Forces Gang, Wishnowsky joined Tom Hackett and Andy Phillips and revealed that he played in the Pac-12 Championship game against Washington with appendicitis.
According to WebMD, “appendicitis is an inflammation of the appendix, a 3 1/2-inch-long tube of tissue that extends from the large intestine. It is a medical emergency that almost always requires prompt surgery to remove the appendix. Left untreated, an inflamed appendix will eventually burst, or perforate, spilling infectious materials into the abdominal cavity.”
Days before the Pac-12 Championship game, Wishnowsky complained of pain in the lower right abdomen region to the Utah football training staff. Coincidentally, running back TJ Green was also complaining of similar pain and the training staff figured it was probably just gas buildup and it was not anything worth worrying about.
Wishnowsky’s pain continued to increase as the days started ticking down towards the big game. Still, Utah’s training staff seemed adamant that the pain was nothing more than excess gas.
It was not until the day after the game in which Wishnowsky realized something was wrong, he called into the Utah training room and requested a visit to the University of Utah Hospital with a team doctor. After a few quick tests, the doctor told Wishnowsky that he had appendicitis and that he must go into surgery immediately.
Wishnowsky made a full recovery and was able to punt in his final collegiate football game, the Holiday Bowl on December 31, 2018.
Since then, Wishnowsky has taken part in the Reece’s Senior Bowl, the NFL Combine and on Thursday he will punt in front of more NFL scouts and coaches during Utah football’s Pro Day.
To listen to the full episode of Special Forces Gang with Mitch Wishnowsky, click here.
- BYU Head Coach Pays For Students' Dinner After Taking Down Zags - KSL Sports (pageviews: 15138)
- Student Buries Half-Court Shot For $8K During Timeout Of Gonzaga/BYU Game (pageviews: 4897)
- BYU Head Coach Pays For Students' Dinner After Taking Down Zags - KSL Sports (pageviews: 3796)
- BYU Hosted Talented JUCO Recruit During Upset Win Against Zags - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2412)
- Jimmer Fredette Made BYU Fans Go Crazy Before Gonzaga Game - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2370)
- Whittingham Dismisses WR Perriman From Utah Football Following Additional Charges (pageviews: 2170)
- BYU Moves Into Top 15 Of NET Rankings After Win Over Gonzaga (pageviews: 1640)
- Dave Rose: This BYU Basketball Team Has More Offensive Weapons Than Sweet 16 Squad - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1585)
- Led By Yoeli Childs, No. 23 BYU Upsets No. 2 Gonzaga On Senior Night (pageviews: 1347)