Darrell Griffith To Appear At Jazz Throwback Game
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – On Wednesday night the Utah Jazz will be unveiling their purple throwback jerseys on the floor for the first time. As part of the 40th anniversary celebration of the team’s tenure in Utah, Darrell Griffith, one of the players who donned the classic purple uniform, will be on hand at Vivint SmartHome Arena.
Griffith, a 10-year Jazzman, was drafted by the franchise with the second overall pick in the 1980 NBA Draft. Like current Jazz star Donovan Mitchell, he was selected out of the University of Louisville. He was named the 1981 NBA Rookie of the Year after setting a Jazz-rookie record with 20.6 points per game. Following the end of the his career, which was spent entirely with Utah, his No. 35 was retired by the organization.
Mitchell provided a nod to Griffith in last season’s slam dunk contest when he donned the No. 35 jersey and a pair of short purple shorts for a dunk over comedian Kevin Hart. After Mitchell won the contest, Griffith, known as “Dr. Dunkenstein” in his playing days was invited to hand Mitchell his dunk contest trophy at a Jazz home game.
Griffith’s appearance is just the beginning of the organization’s 40th anniversary celebration festivities. In addition to Griffth, more former Jazz coaches and players are schedule to be in attendance to be recognized for their achievements with the franchise.
The game on Wednesday against the Dallas Mavericks will tip off at 7 p.m. and be broadcast on AT&T SportsNet.
- Report: NBA Plans To Return With 22 Teams, 8 Regular Season Games - KSL Sports (pageviews: 3236)
- What NBA Return Means For The Utah Jazz - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1669)
- Karl Malone Jr. Addresses Father's Statutory Rape History - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1135)
- BYU Football DC Ilaisa Tuiaki Excited For Returning Personnel Plus Rising Newcomers - KSL Sports (pageviews: 972)
- Former BYU Football Coach, Receiver Speak About George Floyd's Death, Impact Moving Forward (pageviews: 490)
- Report: NBA Plans To Return With 22 Teams, 8 Regular Season Games - KSL Sports (pageviews: 356)
- Former Utah Heisman Trophy Finalist Quarterback Lee Grosscup Passes Away At Age 83 - KSL Sports (pageviews: 298)
- LeBron James, Drew Brees At Odds Over Colin Kaepernick - KSL Sports (pageviews: 296)
- Nedum Onuoha: 'I Never Go Out And Feel 100 Percent Safe' - KSL Sports (pageviews: 242)